Budget Eats - The Taho Reinvented

Taho (or tofu pudding as my friends call it) is a Filipino food treat that I feel less guilty indulging in occasionally. I Taho is made of tofu which is supposed to be good for your health.  Hearing the taho vendor's shouts of "Taho!" would evoke a craving for this sweet treat.  Watching the taho vendor scoop out the soft silken tofu, filling a cup with it and topping it with dark brown "arnibal" (brown sugar syrup) and a scoop of "sago" (tapioca), you'd feel that rush coming over you as you eagerly anticipate the heavenly taste of this wonderful Pinoy sweet tofu treat.  

These days I don't have to wait for the taho vendor to come by to enjoy my sweet tofu.  I get my sweet tofu fix from Taho Boy, a taho cart selling flavored hot or cold sweet tofu.  I frequent the one at Unimart at the Greenhills Shopping Center.  You can choose either the hot or cold taho and choose between buko pandan and almond flavors. My personal favorite is the almond flavor; it tastes like the almond flavored gelatin dessert that you get from Chinese restaurants.  Delicious. Their syrup is not too sweet, just right and it doesn't overpower the taste of the taho.   They also have flavored soy smoothies, tofu based also, that are equally delish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment